Freelancing is a serious business. Lots of people are already venturing into this field because of the great and unlimited opportunities it provides. Why you should try freelancing?
Well, the best deal someone can get from doing freelance living is nothing but a massive FREEDOM. You have the license to choose your own working hours, pick your clients, decide on the type of your work, and most importantly you can name your price.
For some people, the freelance world is like a gold mine. They can earn money as much as they want within the comfort of their home. Very enticing isn't it? Anyone can make a living in freelancing but in reality making money online is not easy. In order for you to successfully penetrate the freelance world, you basically need to present or offer something of value to potential clients. How will you do that?
Here's 9 smart guide to get you started:
1. Learn how to market yourself
- If you are a beginner in this kind of business, do not be selective with your work. Try as many freelance jobs as you can but make sure that you put a decent amount of effort on it. According to some freelancers, one of the toughest part in getting a freelance job is to sell yourself or the services you offer in the marketplace. There are variety of ways on how you can do it. You can create a website and promote your service or you might have a portfolio of your best works that you can present to your prospective clients.
2. Identify your expertise
- If you are good at writing quality posts or articles, keep on producing such contents. If you are a creative designer then you should develop more your creativity to come up with excellent works. In freelancing, you have to distinguish the area you specialized in so you can establish yourself as the go-to expert. If you don't want to be tagged as an "expert" yet it is okay but do not lose the confidence in doing your work well. If you want to stay in this business, you must trust yourself and always emit confidence in everything you do.
3. Prepare good proposals like you are having a job interview
- Always spend time in sending your job proposals. Some freelancers don't take enough time in pitching a really good proposal that is why they don't get the job that they wanted. If you want to get hired and paid of what you're worth, you need to work smart and exert more effort to your proposals. Prepare like you are going to a job interview. Make research and know everything about the position you're applying for. The better your proposal writing is, the greater chance that you will get hired.
4. Know how to exceed client's expectation
- The key to success in freelancing is being able to meet and exceed the clients expectations. For you to do that you should understand and put your 100% concentration on your clients' want and need. In meeting your freelance goal, show off your professionalism and commitment in the job. Your focus as a freelancer should be on the quality, deadline, and cost of the work. If you keep exceeding their expectations and they got satisfied with your work you can ensure future work from them.
5. An excellent feedback really matter
- Ask a feedback from your client or customer in every project that you do. In this way, you can track your progress as a freelancer. Positive feedback can be your advantage in getting more jobs from various clients. But if ever you get negative ones, don't be discouraged. Instead, use it to enhance more your skills.
6. Find a different niche
- Go outside of your comfort zone and do not be afraid to try some experiments. If you are doing a great job in a particular niche, why not try another one. Do not limit yourself in one area of expertise only. Freelancing can offer you great learning so you should maximize that opportunity.
7. Do not hesitate to work for free
- Working for free is a good investment for your future freelance jobs. You can add it as a real work experience in your portfolio. If you're starting out in freelance business, professionals will advised you to work for free in a couple of times. Don't look at it as a waste of time and talent because you can benefit something in doing it.
8. Get inspired from other successful freelancers
- You can gain knowledge in your own freelancing experience but you will learn more if you get advice from people who are already successful in this field. Make a research about some established freelancers and find out how they did an unbelievable job in freelancing.
9. Look for new and improved approach in freelancing
- Once you're done setting up yourself in the freelance world, the next thing that you should do is to continue improving. Many freelancers stop from seeking new knowledge and approach in doing their freelance works. They felt too comfortable with what they do so they don't exert much effort in getting bigger projects. If you want to last long in this job, you should never stop learning.
Gemma Gaten is a researcher and freelance writer at uk.bestessays.com. She is a graduate student who likes reading classic novels and English literature. She is a blogger, traveler, and a fan of nature photography. Add her in google+ or follow her in twitter - https://twitter.com/GemmaGaten
Photo credit: Derek Dysart
via photopin cc